On display

Stephens Place Logo

Title: On Display
Series: None
Author: Kathryn Merteuil
Disclaimer : The characters used are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, WB, Fox and probably some other people. I'm just borrowing them for a while.
Copyright : All parts not copyright to another entity (see disclaimer) -- including content, presentation and xHTML -- are copyright Kathryn Merteuil © 2000.
Spoilers : Minor spoiler for 'Lie to Me'.
Notes : Buffy falls.
Feedback : Yes please.
Rating : G

Buffy drew herself to her full height and gave the, full length, mirror a mega-watt smile. Assured that all was well she stepped through the curtain and into the full glare of the . Around her wolf-whistles and catcalls abounded.

Buffy stepped confidently along the cat walk dazzled by the lights, almost deafened by the backing music. She shortened her stride to take account of her heels, the highest she had worn to date. Despite practising for hours in her room they still took some getting used to. "I can do this. I can do this!" she repeated to herself keeping her smile firmly fastened in place.

She reached the end and turned. Her heel caught on the edge of one of the boards that made up the platform. she tripped and fell forward…

SPLASH

...into the pool of water around the end of the catwalk. The roar of laughter turned to catcalls and lewd innuendoes as she stood. Buffy looked down and realised why her mother had advised against a white swim suit. Above her head hung a banner "Hemry High Charity Beauty Pagent -- All Proceeds to Breast Cancer Research".

"Buffy" a call from her left. She turned and saw her friend Billy Fordham. He held out his hand and helped her from the pool then wrapped her in his trench coat. As he walked her to the stage door Buffy knew that she was going to remember her Freshman year for the rest of her life.